Friday 25 May 2012

reflections from a day off work


i can say it's been quite productive yesterday. the day consisted of catching up with practical things and reorganising stuff in my home.

i've realised whenever i do that - reorganise stuff- i ponder upon the matter of 'hoarding' or 'accumulating' stuff, by means of calling them collections. i know for a fact that this runs in my family, especially my mum's side. we love collecting things. my mum had a keyring collection when i was small, she had them on display in the living room and i loved looking at each and every piece again and again; a very well crafted brass truck or a cute little compass, a red painted ornated deer... i remember my granddad starting a paper napkin collection for me and my sister when we were only wee little girls, i still have the collection and hopefully i will share these retro beauties with you when i manage to take good photos of them. the list can go on as each family member (let's say except my dad who actually hates anything second-hand or vintage and tends to throw 'unfunctional' things away when you're not looking) has their own little collections going on.

i remember a couple of years ago i had a moment of cleaning frenzy and ended up throwing away my wine bottle cork collection which now of course i regret immensely. but, isn't that mentally dangerous? i mean just to collect away? when should we stop? aren't we supposed to 'let go' of things that are weighing us down? (by no means it is weighing me down, for god's sake i'm collecting stones!!!) we are not defined (but we are) by what we own, so why have attachments to things? do you also feel attached to certain objects and collect things as well? it's safe to say that we all love memories in some way and these are ways to bring them back. i will think about this, strange creatures we are, human beings.








No comments:

Post a Comment